Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Televisualess, with eggplant

I have been living for a couple of years now without television, which has been freeing; it has, as I'd hoped, freed up more time for reading, cooking and walking. I still watch stuff on tv-like screens, but now I rent movies and watch videos online. I suppose that has narrowed the field from which my media heroes are drawn, but if it has there's one person I'm glad I've been able to see in a number of documentaries. She speaks clearly, simply and - although the message is terrifying - with hope and vision.

Here's an interview with the awesome Vandana Shiva, who has put the plight of Indian farmers into the public spotlight, can explain beautifully the perils of seed patents (covered by Vanity Fair in the May/08 issue!) and biodiesels, has put her money where her mouth is through her foundation, Navdanya, and among her many other activities, now sits on the board of Slow Food International:


And now, if you have a couple of hours to spare, here's Fast Food World: Perils and Promises of the Global Food Chain, a fascinating panel discussion from way back in 2003, featuring just about everyone I admire together on one stage: Vandana Shiva together with Carlo Petrini, poet Wendell Barry, Michael Pollan, Eric Schlosser and a charming introduction from Alice Waters.

If you're still hungry after that, I wandered into a wonderful website that is all about aubergines, or eggplants, or melanzane. It includes a recipe for Tumbet, which we had in Spain; I tried Rose Elliot's version the other day, which was very good, but I think this is closer to the one I fell in love with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home