Friday, May 29, 2009

After the meeting but still in Calgary

Last Sunday I got what will probably be my first and last tour of the Calgary Farmers Market.



The place is Alberta-sized, and housed - for the moment - in a former airplane hangar



at the Currie Barracks, which is being razed



to make way for new development. The search is on for a new, permanent home. Such is the public support for the market that it received a temporary reprieve until this can be found. Meanwhile, you can get your tomato sauce



and your ostrich soap



and your fruit tarts there.



Having found enough bits and pieces, Susan primed us with cherry wine and, after I admired her lettuce lamp,



produced an excellent meal, including pear and pine-nut salad with chili dressing



which went well with Dee's pumpernickel bread



followed by some Hutterite-reared lamb.



Throughout proceedings, the ginger cat brigade



kept a careful eye on us.



Back in Victoria, I'm looking ahead to this weekend where I can't be everywhere at once. If I could, I would be at the Spot Prawn Festival in Cowichan Bay, as well as the Island Chefs Collaborative festival: Defending Our Backyard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home