Thursday, October 23, 2008

In Italia

Don't have my laptop and so unable to download the squillions of photos I took in Pompeii and Herculaneum last weekend... will have to post these retrospectively when I can. Suffice to say we had a delicious time with perfect weather.

There were three celebrity sightings to round things out: I was seated on the plane next to Bob Geldof (who might not be a foodie, as he ate the horrible BA sandwich and said he thought it was tragic that I had brought my own food on the plane... though whether he meant it was pathetic behaviour on my part or that the tragedy is that the airlines serve such abominations wasn't clear, so I can choose to believe the latter). Upon disembarking we saw him hook up with star journalist John Simpson. And on Sunday we returned from Herculaneum and Vesuvius in time to see the pope leave town after his all-day visit to Pompeii.

After a day in Rome - main excursion was to see Keats' house - and two good meals, I left yesterday for an epic train journey. It took about seven and a half hours to get to Turin and I arrived to mild foggy weather. Just about to set off for Terra Madre. More as it unfolds.

2 Comments:

Blogger leah fritz said...

Was there a sciopere (sp?) on the train that made it take so long? I remember going from Milan to Bologna (sp?) on a 4-hour train trip because of a strike or work-to-rule. Hair-raising, nail-biting, but fun because of lots of Italian school kids and the warmth of the people.
We miss you in London.

2:50 a.m.  
Blogger Rhona McAdam said...

Actually no sciopero -- it was just a regular milk run which lost half an hour somewhere between Rome and Turin (I think I found it under one of the seats at Terra Madre this weekend!)

I miss London too, and all who dwell there. But as cities go, I am also loving Turin which is somehow French but totally Italian, and looks rather grand and beautiful even in these mostly grey days.

12:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home