Saturday, April 08, 2006

Lady Sara

















A year ago this week we lost our lovely Sara: Australian Shepherdess extraordinaire, aged 16.

...your gaze could cure
multitudes, the silk of your head
soothe any worry.
You teach us to taste
each morning as if it’s our first.

And day after day you lie
near my feet, dreaming and fixed
on some distant thing that is, at last,
outrunning you.

Last night we went to Alix Goolden Hall to see/hear a Ballet BC performance of the impossibly lovely Stabat Mater by Pergolesi . I hadn't realised till I was home reading my cd liner notes that Pergolesi died at 26, and this was possibly his last composition. Quite a finale. In the recording I have, a countertenor, Michael Chance, sings the alto which is extraordinary, and it was recorded at Church of St Jude-on-the-Hill, Hampstead (London) by The King's Consort, who play period instruments. "Forty minutes of undiluted peace" said one of the Amazon reviewers.

Off to dine with the relatives tonight, and I'm bringing dessert. Thank you Delia Smith (and my apple tree) for Baked Apple and Almond Pudding.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home