Thursday, March 30, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen, it's a... book!

Well, I have it in my hands, Cartography, this product of a 13 year gestation. Delighted I am, but U.A. Fanthorpe captures that sense of our poems never quite living up to the perfection we'd aspired to (which is why we keep trying?!): "As usual, when they're together, and bound, I feel ashamed of them. Individually, they had a right to exist. But when they gape out at me, cheek by jowl, I feel like a mother with a whole clutch of unsatisfactory children."

Anyway, it is here, and it is particularly lovely thanks to a cover image by the quite extraordinary Calgary artist Colleen Philippi, whose art has blessed the cover of three of my books now. The launch will be lovely too, and I hope anyone in the area will come and celebrate with me on May 3.

Supper tonight will be arroz con pollo which I haven't had for a very long time, and which I saw described as the Cuban cousin of paella. I can't help but admire a meat dish that incorporates both starch and vegetable, yet doesn't come across as a casserole. Or maybe I'm just falling for an exotic sounding name for good ol' chicken and rice.

6 Comments:

Blogger Brenda Schmidt said...

Congratulations, Rhona! I look forward to reading it.

10:52 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

marvelous! the cover is stunning!

10:58 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three cheers for you! I can't wait to see it!

2:16 p.m.  
Blogger Tracy Hamon said...

Congrats! I can't wait to read it!

6:34 a.m.  
Blogger Rhona McAdam said...

Thanks everyone! I look forward to reading it too, but it's hard to bring yourself to actually open the cover, because you know The Typo is lurking in there -- and then there's the knowledge that all the poems are stuck and fixed in that book in that version in that order forever! Too scary, after months and years of chopping and changing.

8:50 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i always resolve to find the typo, then point at it and laugh: as though it were a child having a temper tantrum in safeway. you know it's going to happen. the trick is to find a new and fun way of dealing with it.

7:28 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home