Friday, March 06, 2009

Of sausages, sauerkraut and sorrel

I had opened a jar of sauerkraut the other day and was pondering what to do with it. I still have some beets from my bumper Christmas organic box, and I started thinking about some borscht I once had that included both beets and sauerkraut.

But in looking for this recipe I stumbled upon several others for sauerkraut borscht which call for smoked sausages (like those St Gregor ones I have stashed in my freezer).

Which reminded me that borscht, to many of us, means a kind of beet soup, but that is a woefully limited view of a term that, like paella, can mean an almost infinite range of dishes under a common culinary umbrella.

Which led me to look further at the page I'd happened upon, which was a collection of Mennonite recipes. Last summer I made sorrel soup (here called Zummahborscht) out of some weeds I'd pulled at Haliburton Farm. The soup was delicious and lemony; the labour involved was a bit tedious, as I had to rinse and sort the leaves rather more than I would a grocery store bag of greens, but I think it was worth it and I'll be volunteering for weeding duties again this year.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger the regina mom said...

When I was on Galiano last month my friend's friend gave me a sample of his homemade sauerkraut. It was like no other sauerkraut I'd ever eaten. It had all kinds of lovely things added to it, beets, caraway and of course, cabbage. And he'd made it in a two-quart jar. It was yummy, but not the same kind of yummy that a traditional sauerkraut is.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to see if I can't track a recipe for that down this weekend.

9:05 p.m.  
Blogger Rhona McAdam said...

Hey, that sounds great. Let me know if you find that recipe!

11:10 p.m.  
Blogger the regina mom said...

Sandor's Sauerkraut Recipe looks interesting and kinda like what Jer fed me. Excellent article here! And here's a fantastic wiki entry on sauerkraut!!! Who knew it wasn't just a German thing?

12:30 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home