Saturday, February 25, 2006

Home, home in the rain

Actually there is no rain here in Victoria (--but--gasp-- it snowed for about ten minutes this morning!!). Quite a change from the biblical deluge we were experiencing when I left two weeks ago. I returned from St Pete's on Westjet - the jokes were not quite as good as on the outgoing journey, and the trip felt endless. Saskatoon to Calgary, Calgary to Kelowna, Kelowna to Victoria. Luckily it was pretty clear all the way and I got to look down on the snowy world before stepping back on the green green grass of home. My taxi driver kindly advised me to put on my coat before leaving the terminal: very cold, he said, only about 4 degrees. Hah, I said, recalling the -30something low we had in Muenster last week.

Here's a cold cat I met at the Abbey. It had a lot to say; I suspect it was telling me the many words for snow in its language. I have more photos to download.. after which I will tell my version of events of our last evening's entertainments: you can read Tracy's while you're waiting.

I rushed home to find my very good pal Jennifer had dinner on the plates and waiting for me, so I don't have to remember how to cook for a little while yet. She's here from Calgary to work further towards her Feldenkreis practitioner certification, and she's their webmaster too. And she makes a mean chicken dinner.

After dinner I rushed out again to Mocambo to hear Tom Wayman read, and it was worth the trip: he's endlessly entertaining. I bought his latest book, My Father's Cup, which includes some powerful poems about his parents. While there, Wendy Morton broke the news that she's been successful in her campaign to city council to get a Victoria Poet Laureate position in place.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Hamon said...

We met that cat once on a walk. Meow. Meow. Meow. Seriously. All it did was try to engage us in something/anything. Interesting cat. Of course, it is an interesting place, so why wouldn't the cat be interesting as well?

5:50 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home